Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Read 1808 times)
Sue.
Lead

Lane's short stint as
Moe in a 3 Stooges revival

Somewhere over the rainbow
Man of La Mancha - a review
03/08/12 at 12:49:10

Man of La Mancha.  I liked the movie.  I liked the written play.  I had a hard time envisioning how to blend the two into a stage production, especially in a church…on a very small stage.  I needn’t have worried…it worked and worked well.  For those of you not knowing the wherewithal of the play, here’s a brief synopsis.  Miguel Cervantes and his manservant are thrown into prison because in order to make ends meet, Cervantes the poet and actor has been serving as tax collector and foreclosed on a church.  While waiting his inquisition to take place, his fellow prisoners put him on trial themselves.  He presents his defense in the manner of a series of vignettes featuring some of the key scenes in the book “Don Quixote”.

The entire cast was great, but I’m just going to briefly focus on the three main characters – Lane as Miguel Cervantes/Alonso Quijana, Jerry Winsett as his manservant/Sancho Panza, and Christina Spitters as Aldonza/Dulcinea.  Jerry was comical since Sancho is a funny character with all the amusing songs, but when Alonso died near the end of the play within a play, he stood at the edge of the stage and truly let you feel his grief of losing his best friend.   Christina is not only a fabulous actress and a beautiful woman, but lordy does that girl have a set of lungs on her.  I’ve head her sing at TSF, but nothing like this.  If she’s not operatically trained, I’d be surprised.

Lane however, floored me.  Only used to his pop singing (I missed Sweeny Todd and My Fair Lady), the first time he opened up to sing “I Am I, Don Quixote”, my jaw dropped to the foundation.  The man has an amazing Broadway-style singing voice, full, and rich, and saturated with emotion.  He truly blew me away and I’d honestly love to have a recording of the play, the music was that good.  I’ll not be missing any more performances where music is involved.  You shouldn’t either.

You never really know someone until you're playing Uno and the mothercrappity smacker hits you with a draw four.

Risking our hearts is why we're alive.  The last thing you want, is to look back on your life and wonder if only.

IP Logged

Helen
Lead

Liverpool, England
Re: Man of La Mancha - a review
Reply #1 - 03/08/12 at 13:16:05

Thanks for the review Sue though reading it makes me even more sorry that I couldn't make the trip over! Musical theatre is generally my favourite type of theatre and if Lane is as good as you say he is doing it then I'll do everything I possibly can to ensure I'll be there next time he does it!

IP Logged

Sue.
Lead

Lane's short stint as

Reply #2 - 03/08/12 at 13:49:33

Helen, I am not a huge fan of the pop stuff, so believe me truly when I say his voice was all that and a bag of chips.  Start an across the pond fund so it's ready if he decides to sing again.  You will NOT be disappointed.

You never really know someone until you're playing Uno and the mothercrappity smacker hits you with a draw four.

Risking our hearts is why we're alive.  The last thing you want, is to look back on your life and wonder if only.

IP Logged

Helen
Lead

Liverpool, England
Reply #3 - 03/08/12 at 15:42:15

I'll also have to stay away from idiot drivers so that I'm fit to travel long distance when the time comes!!  Tongue When I get my compensation from my claim I'll be sure to put it in an across the pond for Lane fund ready for the next time so I can gain some pleasure from my pain!

IP Logged

Ro
Lead

Middleton Manigault "The
Rocket"

Reply #4 - 03/09/12 at 19:54:27

Yeah, Sue was shocked that he could sing so well! As long as it's not "pop", he's great, just don't let him sing "pop' EVER again!

I wish I had been more awake when watching the play, but I was so exhausted. What I remember was very good and yeah, Christina Spitters can sing, girl is *amazing*!

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion.

"Hunting is not a sport.  In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game."

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed.

IP Logged

Sue.
Lead

Lane's short stint as

Reply #5 - 03/11/12 at 12:13:11

Well, I do like Jamie and John.....

IP Logged

amgoth2000
Lead

LD's nickname: McBody

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 03/11/12 at 18:45:59

(reads Sue's post 20 more times, then one more time)

I . . . have nothing to say to that lol

"A heart wo a soul is not a person at all" by me

"Real success is finding ur lifework in the work that u love" David McCullough

"A man isn't idle bc he's absorbed in thought.There is visible labor & there's invisible labor" Victor Hugo

“I [knit 4 charity] bc I can’t bear 2 think there r people/animals out there nobody much cares about” Anonymous

“Honey, knitting is so much more than just plain obsessive compulsive behavior...it’s the healthiest addiction I know!” by Antje Gillingham
IP Logged

Sue.
Lead

Lane's short stint as

Reply #7 - 03/12/12 at 10:39:28

Guess you don't want to hear I find Last County Waltz sort of pleasant as well.

IP Logged

amgoth2000
Lead

LD's nickname: McBody

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 03/12/12 at 13:27:47

(tries to recall if that's the least fav of all)

(shakes head)

Can't recall

"A heart wo a soul is not a person at all" by me

"Real success is finding ur lifework in the work that u love" David McCullough

"A man isn't idle bc he's absorbed in thought.There is visible labor & there's invisible labor" Victor Hugo

“I [knit 4 charity] bc I can’t bear 2 think there r people/animals out there nobody much cares about” Anonymous

“Honey, knitting is so much more than just plain obsessive compulsive behavior...it’s the healthiest addiction I know!” by Antje Gillingham
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print